WHEN YOU ARRIVE
We recommend you familiarise yourself with all the information below, so you can enjoy a fun and safe event
You can collect your race kit in advance or on the day provided your minimum fundraising requirement has been raised. Times are:
- Thursday 22nd November 4:30pm - 6:30pm (Eureka Tower plaza area)
- Friday 23rd November 11:00am - 2:00pm (Eureka Tower plaza area)
- Sunday 25th November – from 6am (Registration marquee)
When you arrive at Eureka Tower, you'll need to check in and collect your race bib at the registration tent. We suggest you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your nominated start time to allow enough time to drop off your bags, warm up and make any final preparations.
Bag Drop - We suggest you allocate a friend to look after your belongings while climbing/walking. If this is not possible, your belongings can be placed in the bag compound. Tear off the “bag compound” tag on your race bib and attach to your personal belongings. You must have your race bib that identifies your race number in order to collect your belongings at the bag compound.
* PLEASE NOTE WALKERS (UNTIMED) and CLIMBERS (TIMED) ARE IN SEPARATE STAIRWELLS - Volunteers and signs will guide you to your correct start location.
Marshalling in your correct wave will ensure the enjoyment of everyone on the day. Your bib numbers will advise us as to your correct wave time and they will need to be visible before you can enter the marshaling area. Fitness trainers will conduct a fun, quick warm up routine for your wave before you climb. Following this, participants will be ushered into the start line area where they will be released into the stairwells one at a time or within ‘friend’ groups to minimise congestion on the stairs.
Whether you are a Climber or a Walker you will notice your heart rate rising dramatically as you climb. For this reason we recommend that all participants utilise the warm-up area located near the start area to increase their heart rate just prior to participating.
Participants will be called to their starting area 15 minutes prior to their start time. Climbers will set off one at a time approximately 20 seconds apart. Walking teams can head off together as a group of 4 and the next team will start 30 seconds later.
The finish line is located on Level 88, Eureka Skydeck. After crossing the finish line, and taking in the view... please clear the immediate area, for other climbers coming through, and move towards the lifts to return to the ground floor, helping to avoid congestion in the area. Timed climbers will need to run under the finishing arch to register a time.
As event participants exit the building, they are encouraged to enjoy the hospitality provided in the event village.
Your climb time will be available to view online here. Alternatively, head to The Fred Hollows Foundation marquee to find out your climb time.
ACCESS TO L88 SKYDECK
Family and friends can get 20% off their Skydeck entry tickets by mentioning Fred Hollows at the ticket counter. Valid from 6:30am to 12 midday, Sun 25th Nov only.
OTHER IMPORTANT STUFF
On the day donations will be accepted at The Fred Hollows Foundation tent. Cash donations can also be made there on the day.
Those who have qualified as 'Sight Superstars' will be contacted prior to the event with details of their rewards on the day.
- There are no change room facilities available on the day, so we suggest that participants arrive ready to climb!
- There will be port-a-loos available outside on ground level. Limited restrooms are located at the finish line on Level 88.
The stairwells will be hot and stuffy. Please dress appropriately for the conditions. Whilst participants will be released in staggered starts, there will be some congestion at times.
Here are some basic guidelines to follow during your climb to get the best out of your climb and ensure an enjoyable day for all:
- OVERTAKING - Please keep to the inside railing and allow faster climbers to pass you on the outside.
- WATER STATIONS - 3 water stations within the stairwells and one at the finish line handing out bottled water (to avoid spills) if you do not have your own or run out. These are NOT to be used to cool down.
- BINS – Provided for water bottle disposal at various points during your climb. Please utilize these and dispose of your water bottle thoughtfully.
- REST AREAS - If you are feeling tired please take a rest on a stair landing (not the stairs) and move to the side and out of the way
- STAIR WARDENS – Help is never far should you require assistance with a stair warden and/or a volunteer with a two-way radio located roughly every 8-10 floors.
- RACE BIBS - Your race bib must remain on at all times during your climb
- RACE ATTIRE – Backpacks and bags are not permitted within the stairwells (camel packs and BA’s for the fire fighters category permitted).
- AGE - participants must be 12 years or over to participate in the Eureka Stair Climb.
Be respectful of other climbers - do not push, shove or block other runners. Failure to maintain good sportsmanship will result in disqualification.
Assist other climbers if they require help at any stage!
- It is very common to experience a cough in stair climbing events. This can set in during or after the climb due to the very deep, more rapid breathing caused by exertion in dry stairwells. This may be alleviated by small sips of water to lubricate the throat.
- Every participant to cross the finish line will receive a Eureka Stair Climb event day finishers medal.
Professional photographers will be located within the stairwells and at the finish line. These photos will be available to view and/or purchase within 24 hours of the event via www.supersportimages.com.
Event Day Food
- Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank is offering a full buffet breakfast special for $15 to participants until 12:00 noon. Simply show your race bib to get the discounted price.
- Free massage will be available to participants post climb on the ground level – look out for the event
- Family and friends can still access level 88 and the finish line area by purchasing a ticket from Eureka Tower here. Doors will open 7am on Event Day.
First Aid is located in the concourse area, Level 88 and in stairwells. In case of emergency, volunteers and two-way radios should be utilized for communication in the stairwell.
Any injury requiring first aid or attention during the event we ask that fellow climbers take the following action:
- Use two-way radios and follow instructions.
- If possible, a fellow climber to notify nearest Stair Warden and advise of location and injury(s) suffered.
- Reassure injured person – be calm and avoid any danger.
- If necessary, request that another participant warns oncoming participants ie. go 1 floor down and advise oncoming participants.
In the event of an emergency of the Eureka Tower, the event will be halted. You will hear on of two signals and should act accordingly:
Alert signal: “Beep…Beep...Beep” – please stand by and wait for more instructions.
Evacuation signal: “Whoop...Whoop...Whoop” – please remain calm, descend down the stairs in an orderly fashion to the assembly area (near registration marquee). Assist others if safe to do so and follow directions from event staff.
Travelodge Southbank are the official accommodation partner of the Eurea Stair Climb. Climbers can book direct and save now using this link Book Now to obtain a 15% discount, before 26th Oct, or until booked out. The discount applies between Friday 23rd and Monday 26th November 2018. If booking via the Hotel web-site please use Promo code: EUREKA89
And post climb, why not head to the Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank’s restaurant for breakfast? A hot breakfast buffet is available to all patrons through to 12 noon, on event day. Just show your event bib to have a delicious buffet breakfast for only $15.
Registrations for the Eureka Stair Climb can be made on-line by clicking the REGISTER button until Wednesday, 21 November.
Late registrations (after 21 November)
A limited number of entries may be available on the day, unless the event has previously sold out. Late registrations will cost $110, which includes the minimum donation and registration fee. Availability will be updated on this site. Print this form and complete prior your registration on Event Day.
On-the-day participant replacements
Registration transfers are available on-line up to Wednesday, 21 November via the website using this form. After the cut-off date (21 November) you can still transfer your entry at our registration tent in the morning of the event; an extra transfer fee of $10 in addition to the $50 fundraising pledge will be applied. The new climber will need to present this form filled-in together with the $60 at the registration tent at least 45 minutes prior your initial scheduled wave time.
Parking is available at various local car parking stations including:
- Wilson Car Park in the Eureka Building - accessible via Southbank Ave off City Road. Validate your car parking ticket at the Eureka Skydeck ticket counter upon entry for a discount.
- Crown Casino (prices vary depending on hours parked).
Located in the heart of Melbourne, public transport options are plentiful. From Flinders Street Train Station, simply walk five-minutes over the bridge to the other side of the Yarra River. Multiple trams also service the Southbank area, particularly along St Kilda Rd, a short walk away from Eureka (check out Public Transport Victoria for detailed route information). Please note the public transport timetable is reduced on a Sunday.
Perched on Riverside Quay in the Southbank precinct by Melbourne’s Yarra River, the Eureka Tower is an easy walk from the CBD, Flinders St Station, Federation Square and Crown Casino.
Riverside Quay will be closed from Cook Street to Southgate Avenue from 5am – 3pm on Sunday 25 November, 2018. Residents requiring access into Cook Street will be permitted.